The wooden pallets are usually put into trash by many construction sites and business but they can be recycled and reused to construct a great composite bin. The businesses use these pallets for holding and shipping their inventory from one place to another. You can take these pallets from them by paying little or no cost. The size of wooden pallets is usually perfect for crafting a composite bin and the inside spaces allow the aeration and breathing facility to compost. An ideal measurement for composite bin is 3 to 4 sq feet. These are the small steps involved in making a great pallet composite bin.
How to make a pallet compost bin – Instructions are given below.
1. After sanitizing the pallets carefully, these are laid flat on the ground to create a base. This base is replaced with a new wooden pallet after every two years.
2. The four equal sized pallets are then placed round the base to create a square composite bin. The sides of the bin stand over time of five years after which they need replacement.
3. The wire is used to fasten each side of pallet with other to stay in shape.
4. The compost material is then added to this pallet frame with the ratio of 2:1 for green to brown. The compost pit is kept healthy by the green component providing required nitrogen and the brown component providing the required carbon.
5. The composite bin requires proper dampness to be maintained through constant moisture but should not be too wet.
The side wooden pallets can be held together with a rope, twisted hangers or wires. By adding more pallet sides and bases, multiple bins can be crafted from a single pallet composite bin.
Pallet compost bin design.
Wooden pallet compost bin plans.